Thursday 20 October 2016

MBTI Profile Report


MBTI Profile Report

The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator personality inventory is a psychometric questionnaire that is considered to be the simplest and most reliable method of determining a person’s personality type (Myers & Myers, 1995).  It was originally created by Swiss psychologist Carl Gustav Jung, and later greatly developed by the Mother and Daughter collaboration of Katherine Briggs and Isabel Briggs-Myers.  It identifies sixteen distinctly different personality types into which we all fit.  Our personality type affects all aspect of our lives, from the way in which we play as children to the subjects or activities in school that interest or bore us to the occupations we find satisfying as adults (Tieger, Barron-Tieger, 2001).  This can be extremely useful to know as an employer because it not only reflects the type of information we notice and remember, but the way we make decisions and how much and what kind of structure we prefer.

People can determine their personality type through a series of questions that are answered through the individuals’ preferences regarding perception and judgement, resulting in a recognizable set of traits and potentialities.  There are four components (Extrovert/Introvert, Sensing/Intuition, Thinking/Feeling and Judging/Perceiving) in which each person has one preference, resulting in sixteen possible combinations.  On completion of all four sections the individual is left with a four letter code, describing their dominant response from each component.  As a result of this test, the four letter code that describes my own personality is ISTJ (Introvert, Sensing, Thinking, Judging).

This report will identify each of my own Type preferences, giving examples of events in which I feel I have displayed these characteristics, and how I feel these preferences relate to the role of a Sport Scientist.

Introvert (I)

The introverts’ main interests are in the inner world of concepts and ideas, while the extrovert is commonly refered to as being more sociable and outgoing (Funder, 2010).  This is reflective of me in that I believe I work effectively with ideas.  Evidence of this can be seen in my performance analysis work, where I have learned the basic skills required to operate Sportscode software and shown creativity in the statistics that I collect and how these are presented.  I have continually adapted and developed ideas in an attempt to improve myself and the quality of work that I then produce to coaching staff within the football club where I am participating in an internship.  This demonstrates a growth mindset in that I am constantly striving to improve myself, and my skill set in this area.  The work I have produced has been implicitly recognized at the club by awarding me with further responsibility.  This resulted in me offering ideas in relation to conditioning players, and consequently being asked to come into the club on an extra day to work with the players.  Having conversations with coaching staff, and being able to convey my knowledge and ideas in a particular subject was the reason behind this. Implicit recognition suits my introversion as I feel that I am not effected by the absence of encouragement.  In this regard, if I believe in what I am doing and have a real interest in it, I can work very hard without the need of reassurance.  As an introvert I am also very much interested in the insight that theory may provide and the importance of having a deep knowledge of the area I wish to work in.  This is another essential skill for a Sport Scientist in that there is a responsibility to apply knowledge that is peer reviewed and has a strong evidence base.

It is also important to recognize that there are many aspects of this job role that require extroversion dominance.  For example, when working with groups of players/athletes it may be necessary to carry out educational presentations to inform on key subjects such as nutrition, recovery and conditioning.  During my university career, I have myself been in the position where I have had to present to a group; and at first considered this quite a difficult task due to my introversion.  The strategy that I used to overcome my anxieties was to rehearse a well-structured script and research the topic thoroughly so that key knowledge was implicitly learned.  During the presentation the nerves promptly subsided and on completion of the presentation I was left with an enormous feeling of achievement and accomplishment.

Sensing (S)

Humans are equipped with two distinct but varying ways of perceiving.  One way is through the familiar process of sensing, which is where we become aware of things through the five senses.  The other is the process of intuition, which is indirect perception by way of the unconscious (Myers & Myers, 1995).  This can be illustrated by the masculine ‘hunch’, or ‘woman’s intuition’.  Having a more sensing perception, I like to have access the facts and have time to understand them.  Touch, sight and hearing are vital senses for the Sport Scientist in many situations such as testing athletes.  While undertaking a sport science internship at a professional football club one of my roles included measuring player body fat percentage using skin fold calipers.  At first this was a daunting prospect for me, although after many test days completed, and the high number of players tested on each test day, my confidence soon grew with senior members of staff satisfied with my results.  From this experience I believe that players confidence in me also grew, as I would often be asked for advice while testing the players, which seemed to be intently received.  On reflection of this I feel as though the players viewed me as a valuable member of staff.  They would always treat the test days with professionalism and be keen to find out their results.  For me as an intern, this was not only a valuable experience to improve my hard skills, but also an opportunity to build a rapport with players on a more personal level.  

This personality preference would also be pertinent in the gathering of other test data.  During the pre-season testing battery I was in supervision of two testing stations.  One station was vertical jump to measure power and the other was a functional movement screen.  I was able to apply knowledge learned at university into a professional sporting environment.  It was very important to visually ensure that the correct test protocol was followed which would provide reliable test data.  Using my vision to scrutinize the functional movement of each player through-out the movement screen was essential in order to highlight any mobility or stability issues.  My knowledge and professionalism during these tasks was rewarded with the club inviting me on their pre-season training camp to Portugal.

Thinking (T)

Thinking and feeling refer to the individuals’ judgement.  By thinking the individual uses logic to establish an impersonal finding, whereas feeling is a more subjective conclusion made on a more personal level.  As a thinker, I am more inclined to organize facts and ideas into a logical sequence and present them in a structured way.  I feel as though this is the reason for my interest in collecting data, which is another hard skill essential for the Sport Scientist.  During one of my internships, I have introduced wellness and training load monitoring.  This was accomplished by creating a wellness questionnaire which players completed every morning before training, and collecting session intensities at the end of training sessions.  All data collected was organized in Microsoft Excel, and using techniques that I have developed from my own self education, presented in easy to interpret manner.   Test data collected from the pre-season testing battery was also presented in this manner, and supplied to senior coaching staff.  Players were also given access to the data, which added to the competitive environment within the club, with players motivated not to be last.  I feel that giving players access to view test results is very important in terms of allowing them to establish were they rank within the team, and may possibly motivate them to work harder. 

When the wellness and training load data collection was started, the players were very receptive to it, but as the weeks progressed, there seemed to be a lack of engagement.  I assumed that this was as a result of lack of information given to the players in regards to the rationale behind this, which to some degree was my responsibility in that I may not have been clear in communicating why I was implementing this.  This could be as a result of my introversion.  As a result of my sensing preference I felt confident to address this directly by creating an informative poster, with important information in relation to why I was doing what I was doing. 

Judging/ (J) 

Judging types believe that life should be willed and decided, while the perceptive types regard life as something to be experienced and understood (Myers & Myers, 1995).  As having a more judging preference, I am more likely to decide the best way of carrying out a task, and then consistently doing it that way; when this is combined with my thinking preference, this encourages me to look for the most logical method.  This can be related to the live match analysis that I perform during one of my internships.  Firstly, with the help of the coaching staff, I had to identify key performance indictors’ that were deemed relevant to successful performance.  This was established through conversations with coaching staff, and also my own research into match analysis which I pursued through various books and research papers.  This process gave me a feeling of increasing confidence in this area, and helped me identify what was important and what was not.  I learned from my investigations that it was not as simple as just identifying certain instances every match, and that it was an ever evolving process resulting in me adjusting code windows and statistical reports on a weekly basis. 

Once the analysis was complete, I would always endeavor to have all clips and statistics available to players and coaches within a 24-hour period.  This required me to be efficient and methodical in my approach in order to be as time efficient as possible.  This experience has also allowed me to show that I can work to deadlines and that I can still maintain a high quality of work. 

Conclusion

Following the MBTI personality inventory, my personality preferences resulted in ISTJ, which on reflection I think I agree with.  This combination of preferences indicates that I have a systematic and thorough approach to tasks, with a practical respect for the facts and the ability to focus and develop ideas.  The experience I have gained through university life and work placements have further developed these traits, and on reflection of this task I have learned that these innate traits can be embraced and further developed.  Work placements and experience in the professional sporting environment have been as a result me finding and enabling these opportunities independently.  This has built my confidence and also facilitated my opportunity to further network and promote myself. 

I intend to reflect more on the tasks that I experience by documenting these events and developing my ability to express my feelings in regards to how these experiences affect me.  It is important for me to develop strategies to enable me to function in environments that do not obviously suit my personality type.  For me this will involve developing my public speaking, which I believe will improve with experience.  I have developed my own personal website in order to promote myself and to create a respectful online presence.  I believe that this would be an ideal platform to document my experiences and to track my development.   



References

1.Funder, D.C.C. (2010) The personality puzzle. 4th edn. New York: Norton, W. W. & Company

2.Myers, I.B. and Myers, P.B. (1995) Gifts differing: Understanding personality type. Palo Alto, CA: Consulting Psychologists Press

3.Tieger, P.D., Barron-Tieger, B. (2001) Nuture by nature: Understanding your childs personality type – and become a better parent. Boston, MA, United States: Little, Brown and Company

No comments:

Post a Comment